WETS Offers swim instructor training through the Red Cross WSI Instructor School Program. Turn Your Aquatic Skills Into a Career. Become a Water Safety Instructor! The love of swimming in others can start with you, it’s your time to shine!
Water Safety Instructor Course (WSI)
The Water Safety Instructor (WSI) Course prepares candidates to instruct Red Cross Swim programs. Through this course, you will build strategies to introduce and develop swimming and water safety skills in the following programs: Red Cross Swim Preschool, Red Cross Swim Kids, Red Cross Swim @ School, Red Cross Swim @ Camp, Red Cross Swim for Adults & Teens, and Red Cross Swim Adapted programs.
- 15 years of age or older by the last day of the WSI – Classroom and Pool.
- Ability to perform water safety skills and strokes to meet the highest level of performance criteria in the Red Cross Swim Kids program.
- One of: Red Cross Assistant Lifeguard or higher, Emergency First Aid or higher, or Bronze Cross or higher. Certifications do not need to be current.
- Attend and participate in 100% of all WSI Course components.
- All course components (WSI – Skills Evaluation, WSI – Online, WSI – Teaching Experience, and WSI – Classroom and Pool) are evaluated against specific evaluation criteria on a pass/fail basis.
- All course components must be completed for successful completion of the WSI certification.
Upon successful completion of all four components of the WSI Course:
- WSI candidates are certified for two years as Water Safety Instructors, which allows them to teach Red Cross Swim programs.
- Candidates are considered certified once Red Cross has issued the certification card.
Location: 145-1715 Dickson Ave. and Okanagan Season at Resort 1580 Hwy 33
Tuition: $300.00 + tax
Note: Practise teaching times can be set up with WETS.
Interested in career opportunities as a Water Safety Instructor?
Learn more about the Canadian Red Cross Swim Program.